Increase a Moodle site's usability by adding activity completion checkboxes. Allow site visitors to check off activities as they are completed or for the activity to dynamically mark itself as completed after certain requirements are met. This feature serves students by helping them to track what they have to do and easily see from the checkboxes what has yet to be completed. It could offer benefits similar to Jerry Seinfeld's Productivity Secret "Don't break the chain". Additional functionality is provided to instructors/site managers via the Activity Completion Report. The feature of tracking completion can also be incorporated into gamification design when used in conjunction with Conditional Release (i.e., a student must receive a passing grade on a quiz in order before the next assignment becomes visible). Contact your LFC for more information.
Be sure to explain to students how the Activity Completion checkboxes work (manual vs. dynamic). Once participants contribute work to an activity, such as a forum post, the activity completion settings cannot be changed without affecting those who have submitted items.
- From the main page of the course, make sure Activity Completion is turned on for the entire course. Beginning in Fall 2017, this setting will be turned on by default at the course level. Learn how in Activity Completion Settings.
- Items such as Files (PDFs, Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, Videos, MP3s) and URLs (links to anything stored on Google Drive and shared--Google Docs, YouTube, Vimeo, online articles) can be set for manual checking off or to be clicked (Require View) in order to be marked complete as indicated below. The date is completely option and is indicated in the report.
- Quizzes offer options where the item may be manually checked off, only checked off after completed, only checked after graded/passing grade acquired/all attempts tried.
- Forum activity completion options can be set to manual checking by participants or only when conditions are met (such as one post and 2 replies).
- Instructor or site managers can get a birds' eye view of how many items have been completed with the Activity Completion report. Reports can be run from the course main page > Administration block > Reports > Activity Completion.
- Condtional release can be set up by editing the settings for an activity under the "Restrict Access" section. Click the "Activity completion" button to see options for scaffolding visibility of items presented on the Moodle course page.
Enable completion for the course: http://go.augsburg.edu/m2completion
(keywords: course management, features, options, conditional release)