Before the Zoom Video Conference (Faculty/Staff/Students)
Posted by Christy Mattingly on 12 April 2018 09:10 AM
Before the Zoom Video Conference
- Determine how you will communicate with the remote location in case of issues with the video conference connection. Share cell phone numbers, plan to open the Zoom chat if there is no audio (tip: use Moodle Chat for classes), connect to Zoom audio via phone.
- Reboot the computer and make sure all updates have been applied to the operating system as well as for Zoom. Rebooting the computer is helpful to ensuring memory is free when running video conference software such as Zoom.
- Use a wired connection when possible via Ethernet cable. Avoid using public wireless such as at a coffee shop or hotel wireless. If hotel Wi-Fi is the only option, definitely test using Zoom via the hotel wireless to make sure you have a strong wireless signal.
- Options for Zoom: schedule the conference for a specific time time through the Zoom website, https://augsburg.zoom.us, or share your personal Zoom link to use the same link for all of your Zoom sessions.
- If recording, ask for permission and indicate the audience for sharing said recording.
- Consider the environment: angle of the camera, reduce background noise, appropriate lighting (sit near indoor lighting, close curtains - outside light creates contrast).
- Think through the video choreography. How will you transition from one activity to the next? For example, when moving from a slide show to writing on the whiteboard you need to consider what the camera "sees".
- Conserve bandwidth so it is available for Zoom. When connecting from a non-Augsburg location it may be best to ask others in your home to refrain from using your home Internet service for streaming movies, playing games, music, etc.
- Always have a back-up plan by posting materials online, knowing options for connecting via phone, etc.
- Practice using Zoom with a peer or host a department meeting before teaching with Zoom.
Related knowledgebase articles:
Zoom Overview (Sign in, set up a meeting, learn the interface): http://go.augsburg.edu/zoom