This article introduces how to add grade items directly in the Moodle gradebook. Note: The PREFERRED method for entering grades (even for assignments--like oral presentations or in-class quizzes) is to create a Moodle Assignment. The advantages of using this method instead of the one described below are:
- easy duplication with the duplicate tool
- items are viewable in the course by students (but can be hidden if desired)
- allows for additional descriptions or instructions for the activity
- option to change the activity settings to have an online component later if desired.
You may also be interested in Importing Grades from a Spreadsheet
Adding a Gradebook Item
- From the 'Administration' block, select 'Gradebook Setup' in the 'Top Links' or 'Administration' block.
- In the window that opens, page down and select 'Add grade item.'
- Enter an item name and maximum grade value and scroll down and click 'Save changes.'
- You will now see the grade item in a column in your gradebook. To enter student grades and feedback, click on 'Grades' in the 'Top Links' or 'Administration' block on the main page of the course.
- In the Gradebook, select the 'Single view' tab near the top of the page.
Select the assignment you wish to grade from the list.
Enter grades and any comments in the text boxes provided and then click 'Save.'
Moodle will be indicate how many grades have been saved--click 'Continue.'
Grades will added to the gradebook and students will see the grade and any comments in THEIR gradebook.
Last Modified: 2016/10/13