The E-Learning Team recommends that all instructors install the Moodle Course Template (a pre-formatted pattern that incorporates online course design best-practices) in their course(s). The template is intended as a time-saver for instructors, but it also ensures consistency in course design to reduce unnecessary structural stress for students. Take a tour of the new Moodle Templates.
[NOTE: This article covers how to install the Standard Moodle Template. If you are choosing the Grid Format Template, please refer to these special directions.]
- The template includes resources useful to students (e.g., information about how to access technical help, etc.) as well as a generic course outline.
- In the course into which you want to import the Template, Open the "drawer" on the left (click orange tab) and scroll down to the "Archive" block. Click "Templates" to see the 2 choices. Select either the Standard or Grid template and click the black "Restore" button.
- On the next screen, scroll all the way down to the bottom and click "Continue."
- In the next step, the proper button will already be checked (you want to "Merge the backup course into this course"). Click "Continue."
- Then click "Next"
- Then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Next."
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page yet again, and click "Perform restore." It may take a few minutes for the template to be installed. When it is done, you will receive a message confirming this. Click "Continue," and it will return you to the main page of the course where you will be able to use the template to build your course.