General Virus/Spyware Cleaning Procedures (Students)
Posted by Dan Hoisington on 16 March 2009 06:07 PM
Steps you can take
When your computer has a virus or spyware infection, you just want to get it clean! Here are some general steps to follow to remove the infection and get your computer back to normal.
- Scan your whole computer for viruses with an updated antivirus program, and remove any viruses it finds. Then scan it again to make sure they're really gone! If you don't have an antivirus software on your computer, search for AVG or Avast! antivirus, they are both excellent free tools.
- Are there viruses your antivirus program couldn't remove? Run the scan again with your computer in Safe Mode. This is a special diagnostic mode that makes it easier for viruses to be removed. To start your computer in Safe Mode, hold down the F8 key while your computer starts up, and choose "Safe Mode with Networking" from the menu that appears.
- Scan your whole computer for spyware with at least TWO updated anti-spyware programs. Then scan it again to make sure the problems are really gone!
- Is there spyware on your computer that your anti-spyware software can't remove? You might be able to find removal instructions online -- do a web search for the name of the program. But be careful; some removal procedures can damage your installation of Windows if performed incorrectly.
- Clear your browser's cache, delete all your browser's cookies, and delete all of the files from your computer's "Temp" and "tmp" directories.
- Look at the list of programs installed on your computer by opening the "Add/Remove Programs" control panel. Do you recognize all of the programs that are listed? If there's one you don't recognize, do a web search for the name of the program. Is it something you want to keep on your computer? If not, remove the program by clicking the "Remove" button on the right-hand side.
- Got a virus or spyware you can't remove? Is your computer still having problems even though the scans don't find anything? You can make an appointment with a TechDesk staff member for advanced troubleshooting.
If you have questions or need help with any of these steps, we're here to help! Contact the TechDesk for guidance, or to schedule an appointment for in-depth help. Phone: 612-330-1400
Last Modified: 2013/05/07