Bibliographic Tools - RefWorks, Mendeley, and Zotero
Posted by Nathan Lind on 19 August 2016 03:21 PM
Bibliographic Tools Overview
Please see your LFC if you have any questions.
- New reworks releasing late-2016 will be able to store docs like PDFs, in the cloud
- New version will be able to upload a document from your computer, so it can be used for more than just library resources
- made for libraries
- easy to “Export” from lib resources to RW
- can organize citations into folders
- To create bib, Create Bibliography, choose format
- Imports abstract
- Can add personal notes
- Word plug-in, requires admin privileges for Windows install, requires Java for Mac (true for new version?)
- How to add new record - “Add a new reference” or “Search an online catalog” - good option to find a resource is to search “Library of Congress” - can search by title, author, or ISBN
- Cost? Free!
- Good video tutorials
- Good tutorial videos to learn how to use
- Looks similar to Beta RW
- Desktop, iPhone, iPad, etc
- Data stored in cloud
- Chrome “Extension” for Mendeley - adds a red button in upper right of Chrome
- Also a standalone app for Mac - choose when to manually sync
- Can create a particular folder to be watched by Mendeley where you can save PDFs and Mendeley Desktop will automatically add PDFs to the cloud when you place them into this folder.
- Can hold PDFs
- Can annotate PDFs - private
- Gives you suggestions based on what is in your library, last thing added to your library
- Uses “crowdsourcing”
- 2GB free, perhaps 500+ articles or more
- There is a search for duplicates option
- Word add-on - get from Mendeley website
- Can create groups for collaborating
- Would it work with Google Docs for collaborative writing?
- Could use Office OneDrive to store Word doc for collaborative writing.
- Auto-renaming option to automatically create new names for uploaded PDFs using Author, Title, Year, etc
- similar to Mendeley
- Cloud access
- iPad, phone, laptop
- Pricing - 300MB for free, 2GB $1.67/month
- Word plug-ins
- Pages plug-ins
- Zotero app for Mac, PC?
- Saves URLs
- Chrome Extension - Save to Zotero
- Pulls in URL from wherever you downloaded
- New resources automatically are put into whichever folder you have selected in the Desktop app
- Can manually sync if adding things manually
- Word plug-in/add-on
- Does Z have an auto-rename feature to name PDFs if they have generic names?
- GoodReader iOS app can be used to mark up PDFs - highlighting, boxing, typing in margins. Then email marked up PDF to yourself, download on Mac/PC and drag PDF into Zotero Desktop app. You may want to keep an un-marked-up version, if you plan to share with students to read.